In summer flies can be a real problem, especially when your children leave the backdoor open continuously. Next thing you know is there are lots of flies around your home that will take a long time to get rid of. To get rid of them you would either have to use fly spray (if you do make sure it does not have DEET in it) or go around swatting them.
To Deter Flies
- Plants are one of the best ways to deter flies. Basil or Rue placed in pots outside the door will do a great job. It is also suggested that marigold and mint will deter flies.
- Containers of essential oils. Get a small container and place a piece of cloth or sponge in it. Soak with an essential oil such as Lavender, Citronella, Eucalyptus or Pennyroyal. Close the lid and store for about a day. This will build up the scent in the container. Then place on tables or eating areas when you are entertaining.
- Crushed mint has also been known to deter flies. Get some mint and crush it and sprinkle it around problem areas. I am not sure whether a mint plant has the same effect, though I have never seen many flies around my mint bushes.
- Sprays that you can spray outside, put on yourself or around the home can be an effective measure of control. To create a spray:
Mix 1 cup of vinegar with 1 cup of water and add a few drops of any of these essential oils
Apply to your skin and avoid face and eyes or apply to surfaces flies normally visit.
To Trap Flies
- Fly Paper is a completely natural way to catch flies. It generally involves sticky paper, with a scent flies are attracted to. They land on the paper and can not longer fly away. You can buy them at your supermarket or to make your own fly paper, mix together 1/3 cup of syrup, and 1 tablespoon of brown and raw sugar. Cut paper into strips, place in the mixture and let soak for 12 hours. Then hang them up.
- Fly Trap. Get a water bottle and place a piece of something that flies are really attracted to. Normally a piece or rotting meat will do. Fill the bottle with water but not to submerse the meat. The flies will come in a most will drown.
- Venus Fly Trap. If you want something out of the ordinary get some meat eating plants. Venus fly traps are probably the most well known fly eating plant.